Leicester City 5 Manchester United 3 – 21 September 2014

Leicester City overcame a 3-1 deficit at the King Power Stadium this afternoon to secure a memorable victory over Manchester United, who finished the game with ten men.

Manchester United raced to an early 2-0 lead courtesy of a Robin Van Persie header and a stunning chip from Angel Di Maria.

The Foxes pulled one back through Leonardo Ulloa, but the visitors restored their two-goal advantage in the second half when Ander Herrera diverted Di Maria’s shot past Kasper Schmeichel.

Leicester were handed a lifeline in the second half when David Nugent converted a penalty after Jamie Vardy had been felled by Rafael, and the hosts were level just two minutes later when Esteban Cambiasso drilled the ball past David De Gea from fifteen yards.

With ten minutes remaining, Ritchie De Laet dispossessed Juan Mata before picking out Jamie Vardy who raced through on goal and coolly slotted past De Gea to give Leicester a 4-3 lead.

And the 22-minute turnaround was complete when Ulloa netted Leicester’s second penalty of the match after Tyler Blackett was sent off for his foul on Jamie Vardy.

It was an amazing result for Nigel Pearson’s men, who demonstrated incredible character to fight back against a defensively poor Manchester United side, but the Foxes deserve all the credit for a huge second-half performance and besting a team with big name attacking players including Angel Di Maria, Radamel Falcao and Robin Van Persie.

Leicester started the match positively and had a chance to test David De Gea when Nugent attempted to pick out Leonardo Ulloa at the back post, but Louis Van Gaal’s widely-criticised defence were able to clear their lines.

At the other end, Kasper Schmeichel did well to thwart Robin Van Persie from close range, as Manchester United looked threatening in attack, but the visitors were ahead just moments later when Radamel Falcao picked out Van Persie at the back post with a deep cross, who nodded past Schmeichel.

It was a well-worked goal for the visitors but Ritchie De Laet will have been disappointed to have allowed Falcao to ease past him on the right wing.

Manchester United doubled their lead quickly after the restart when Angel Di Maria played a clever one-two with Wayne Rooney before the Argentine international expertly lobbed the ball over a helpless Schmeichel.

It was a moment of brilliance from Di Maria who continues to impress after his big money move from Real Madrid, but a huge blow for Leicester who had a huge mountain to climb to get back into the match.

Leicester, as they had done at home against Everton and Arsenal this season, responded instantaneously when Jamie Vardy picked out Leo Ulloa with an excellent cross, who headed the ball past a rooted David De Gea in the Manchester United goal.

It was, again, the perfect response by the Foxes, and another goal for Ulloa – his fourth goal in five games – since making the move to the King Power Stadium this summer.

Leicester were looking dangerous on the counter attack, but Manchester United should have restored their two-goal cushion before half time when Marcos Rojo headed over the bar from six yards when he should have at least hit the target.

Shortly after the restart, Rooney burst through the Leicester midfield before picking out Falcao at the back post, only for the Columbian international to hammer his effort against the crossbar.

But United did restore their two-goal advantage following a strong start to the second half when Di Maria’s low drive was turned in by Anders Herrera from close range.

It was an unfortunate goal for the Foxes to concede, but Herrera’s quick reaction meant that Kasper Schmeichel could do little to prevent it.

It was starting to look as though it wouldn’t be Leicester’s day until just after the hour mark when Jamie Vardy dispossessed Rafael nearer the corner flag before winning a spot kick after being bundled over by the Brazilian in the Manchester United penalty area.

David Nugent stepped up from twelve yards to smash the ball straight down to the middle to reduce the deficit to 3-2 – a huge goal for Leicester, and for Nugent; his first of the season – although United fans will be disappointed that referee Mark Clattenburg did not award their side a free-kick for a push by Vardy on Rafael in the build-up.

Leicester had their tails up and found themselves level shortly after the restart, when home debutant Esteban Cambiasso drove the ball into the bottom corner from the edge of the United penalty area.

It was a great finish by the influential midfielder, although the Manchester United defence were exposed as they had been on a number of occasions during the match.

Manchester United were shell-shocked, having led for the majority of the game, and were looking to respond quickly as Leicester had done in the first half, but Anders Herrera was off target with his long-range effort.

Leicester were almost ahead with fifteen minutes remaining when some excellent build-up play involving Ritchie De Laet and Jamie Vardy created a chance for Andy King, but the Welsh international flashed his volley just wide of David De Gea’s right hand post.

But the Foxes did take the lead on their next attack when Ritchie De Laet dispossessed substitute Juan Mata before breaking down the right wing, and when his well-placed pass played Jamie Vardy beyond the Manchester United defence, the former Fleetwood Town man capped a man-of-the-match performance with his first Premier League goal, slotting the ball past David De Gea.

It was a well-deserved goal for Vardy who had caused Manchester United problems all afternoon, and a reminder to Leicester fans – and a warning to the rest of the Premier League – of what he is capable of.

Leicester completed their stunning 22-minute turnaround four minutes later when Vardy – involved again – was bundled down in the Manchester United penalty area by Tyler Blackett, who was shown a straight red card by referee Mark Clattenburg.

Leo Ulloa tucked the ensuing spot-kick into the bottom right-hand corner for his second of the game, and his fifth of the season, as he continues to establish himself as a firm fan favourite at the King Power Stadium.

Substitute Jeffrey Schlupp might have made it 6-3 in stoppage time if it hadn’t been for a last-ditch challenge from Chris Smalling, but the final whistle minutes later capped an astonishing result for Leicester City, who remain undefeated at home, having collected eight points from their opening five Premier League fixtures.

Man of the Match – Jamie Vardy