Leicester City 3 Blackburn Rovers 0 – 26 February 2013

Leicester City snapped their four-game winless streak with a dominating victory over Blackburn Rovers at the King Power Stadium.

Leicester are now five points behind second-place Watford

Chris Wood opened the scoring in the first-half with a close-range header from Ben Marshall’s pinpoint cross, before home debutant Harry Kane doubled Leicester’s lead three minutes before the break.

The Foxes continued their dominance in the second-half and added a deserved third goal in injury time when Andy King headed home Martyn Waghorn’s corner.

It was a robust all-round display from Nigel Pearson’s men, who looked nothing like the side that had struggled in recent weeks and had subsequently lost their grasp on the second Championship automatic promotion spot.

Leicester, who were without striker David Nugent who had picked up a neck injury at the weekend, looked surprisingly high in confidence and might have taken the lead early on had Blackburn goalkeeper Jake Kean not tipped Harry Kane’s low effort away for a corner.

Andy King then saw his header fizz just wide, before Morten Gamst Pedersen’s cross almost caught out Foxes’ goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel at the back post.

Anthony Knockaert then tested Jake Kean from distance while Danny Drinkwater’s ambitious long-range effort flew just over the crossbar as Leicester looked to take control of the match.

Kasper Schmeichel was then called upon to make an acrobatic save to keep out Pedersen’s deflected strike from 30 yards midway through the first-half, before Ben Marshall saw his shot tipped around the post by Kean at the other.

Leicester finally opened the scoring just before the half-hour mark when Marshall picked out Chris Wood with a fantastic ball to the back post, and the New Zealand international rose above his marker and powered his header past Kean to give the Foxes the lead.

It was a fantastic bit of trickery from Ben Marshall, who had looked lively in the opening stages of the match, and a good header by Wood who has continued to impress since joining the Foxes in January.

Ritchie De Laet almost doubled Leicester’s lead ten minutes before the break when he burst into the Blackburn penalty area from one of his trademark attacking runs, but the Belgian could only find the side netting with his effort on goal.

However, the Foxes did not have to wait much longer to extend their lead as Harry Kane, on loan from Tottenham Hotspur, found the back of the net with a close-range header from Ben Marshall’s corner-kick three minutes before half-time.

It was a deserved goal for Kane who had caused the Blackburn defence problems on his home debut, and a scoreline which reflected Leicester’s strong first-half display.

The hosts could have been 3-0 up before half-time when Ben Marshall’s long ball over the top of the Blackburn defence found Chris Wood one-on-one with Jake Kean, but his first-time effort flew harmlessly over the bar.

Leicester continued to impress after the break and looked the time most likely to score next, coming close through Ben Marshall’s shot on goal after some initial good work by Andy King.

Blackburn tried to increase the tempo as the second-half went on but were limited to mostly long-range chances with Markus Olsson firing wide from 25 yards.

The Foxes pressed their opposition high up the pitch; nearly a complete role-reversal from last week’s home defeat to Charlton Athletic, a game in which Leicester looked rattled from being constantly closed down all over the park.

Lloyd Dyer should have put the game out of sight thirteen minutes from time when he robbed Bradley Orr of the ball in defence, but his shot was well-saved by Jake Kean.

Ben Marshall’s late free-kick was tipped over the bar by Kean in second-half stoppage time, but the goalkeeper was completely helpless when substitute Martyn Waghorn’s in-swinging corner-kick was met by the head of Andy King and found the far corner of the net, capping off a thoroughly impressive Leicester City display.

The final whistle ended a miserable night for Michael Appleton’s travelling side, but marked a return to form for the Foxes who closed the gap on second-place Watford to just five points with a game in hand on the three teams above them.

Man of the Match – Andy King