Leicester City 2 Watford 2 – 8 February 2014

Danny Drinkwater’s spectacular stoppage-time equaliser rescued a deserved point for Leicester City who had to come from two goals behind against Watford at a blustery King Power Stadium this afternoon.

Fernando Forestieri gave the Hornets an early lead, before Sean Murray’s low drive doubled the visitors’ advantage five minutes before half-time.

Matty James pulled a goal back two minutes later, and while the hosts dominated possession in the second-half, it appeared that they were headed for their first loss of 2014.

But Danny Drinkwater’s last-gasp volley ensured that Leicester’s eleven-game unbeaten run in the Championship remained intact.

Leicester remain eleven points clear at the top of the Championship with sixteen games remaining, and, although the result snapped the Foxes’ nine-game winning streak, Nigel Pearson will be pleased with his team’s performance and character after finding themselves two goals down against a team who set out to frustrate the home side.

Pearson named an unchanged starting eleven from last week’s 1-0 win at Bournemouth, but it was the visitors who took a surprise lead when Fernando Forestieri turned in Troy Deeney’s off-target effort.

Kasper Schmeichel and the Foxes’ backline were convinced that Forestieri was offside when he made contact with the ball, but their complaints fell on deaf ears as the goal was given.

Leicester searched for an immediate response and came close when Marcin Wasilewski headed just wide from a Matty James corner.

At the other end, Marco Faraoni hit the side netting after the Foxes struggled to deal with a Watford corner kick, before Troy Deeney fired well wide from the edge of the penalty area.

Leicester were playing into a strong breeze in the first 45 minutes, but the conditions almost lead to an equaliser when the wind carried another Matty James corner kick goal-bound, but the ball was cleared off the line.

Gabriele Angella’s overhead-kick inside the penalty area forced Kasper Schmeichel into making an acrobatic save ten minutes before half-time, but the Danish international could do nothing about Watford’s second goal as Sean Murray collected the ball in the final third and fired a low shot into the bottom right-hand corner of the net.

Leicester needed a response, and demonstrated resilience in finding one when Ritchie De Laet picked out his former Manchester United teammate Matty James in the penalty area, and his low volley found its way past Manuel Almunia for his first goal of the season.

It was a turning point in the match and gave the Foxes real momentum going into the dressing room at half-time, and a sense of belief that they could recover to claim something from the match.

Leicester were more dominant in the second-half, as Lloyd Dyer set out on a trademark blistering run down the left wing, but his cutback into the penalty area couldn’t find David Nugent and the ball was cleared by the Watford defence.

Jamie Vardy almost latched onto Wes Morgan’s long clearance just minutes later, but Manuel Almunia was quick out of his goal to avert any danger.

The Foxes continued to ask most of the questions, but Watford had a glorious opportunity to put the game out of sight when Forestieri broke past the Leicester defence and seemed in on goal, but he opted to square the ball to Troy Deeney at the back post but could not pick out his teammate with an accurate pass.

Nigel Pearson brought on Kevin Phillips and Riyad Mahrez in quick succession with just over fifteen minutes remaining, but Watford were resolute in defence as Leicester’s nine-game winning streak seemed in jeopardy.

Chris Wood replaced Marcin Wasilewski as the Foxes looked to throw everything at the visitors, but when Almunia denied Kevin Phillips at the back post, it began to appear that it just wouldn’t be Leicester’s day.

But in the fourth minute of injury time, Danny Drinkwater fired a stunning volley into the top corner to send the home crowd into raptures.

It was a deserved equaliser for Leicester who had put on a dominant display despite being behind for most of the match.

The Foxes almost snatched all three points when a last-gasp corner kick fell to David Nugent in the penalty area, but his shot flew just wide of the post as the final whistle drew a close to a pulsating end to the match.

The result extended Leicester’s unbeaten streak in the league to eleven games, and gave Nigel Pearson’s men an important point as their chase for automatic promotion continues.

Man of the Match – Matty James